Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"I want to talk to you"

HOPE was back today... for the first time in quite some time, I saw hope in the eyes of my students. The energy in the hallways this morning was incredible--all of my students were rockin' Obama buttons, people shouting, "Yes We DID", banging on lockers, dancing around.... there was so much genuine energy that I had never seen before. Some of the "hardest" guys in eighth grade were practically in tears, with HUGE smiles.... coming up to me to say, "MR DESHIELDS, WE DID IT!"

The raw emotion that my students expressed this morning was a fitting reminder of the reason that I love working with children. I see the same type of excitement and joy in the kids that I work with at summer camp--an unexplainable feeling. My kids at camp are truly free from whatever burdens they're facing at home... it's a week (or more) of just fun and GOD... there's not much better than that. It was good seeing that outside of camp... I can't say that I've seen that too many times before.

Yesterday, I had my students write letters to the newly elected President Obama. I know it sounds corny, but I figured I had to capitalize on the events of the day. I chose to do the assignment with my seventh grade classes because I've found that most of my students have a real passion for writing. They always seem to write more than enough, whereas my eighth graders usually have trouble producing more than two sentences. I didn't know how the assignment would go over with my students (especially because they were required to complete an entire election packet for history the night before). To my surprise, they were more than eager to write. I guess their eagerness had something to do with the fact that I promised them
that President Obama would eventually read these letters. With full faith and trust in Mr. DeShields, they wrote with a passion and determination that I've never seen from them before. Now that they've given me these amazing letters, I feel like I have no choice but to hand deliver them. Here are some excerpts of what they wrote:

"Some issues with this country is violence/crime and the war in Iraq. I know that the crime rate has shot up since 2004. People have lost family members and I too have lost one. Really what I think you should do is make a gun license law. Nobody can have a gun unless with a license. The war in Iraq is even bigger because its taking away from our economy and our population. What I think i will do is for violence/crime, I will start a petition or improve my behavior. For the war in Iraq, I can try to get people to start petitions to stop the war, have a truce and let it be".--

Sincerely,
Tired of People Talking in Class

"There needs to be change in this country and as president you must do this to build the foundation of our country. Number one kids should be aloud to vote. Children were the adults that used their genius to build this country and adults are learning from us. Number two we must aid other countries because if we have another war many people will die. Number three bring our troops home. You have to bring our troops home because our troops are fighting a false war and are dieing under false accusation."

Sincerely,
JRose from Chi-town

"Some changes I think you could make is to take guns out of communities so it can be safe so kids can go outside without their parents worrying about them. One more change that I think you could make is that you should take drugs out of communities also. What I will do is I will be a good citizen and not do bad things"

Sincerely,
Sedated

"I'm happy that you are president. And the election was really good. That a lot of people had voted for you as president. I hear you can speak spanish. And me, my name is _________ and I attend Paul PCS. And I'm hispanic. And how's everything at the white house? And Everyone likes to vote for you. Congratulations, Mr. Obama and it's nice to write this letter to you"

Sincerely,
Bernie Williams

"What I like to say in this letter is that I want change with the economy crisis right now. I have friends who have parents that lost three jobs. But what I really want to say is congratulations on becoming the #1 african-american president. Although I am hispanic, I am really proud. I saw a song called we want change, I felt like crying, but I believe you'll help USA become one big nation"

Sincerely,
Where'sMs.Rivers?

"Dear President Obama,
I am a 13 year old boy. I'm so happy you won my headwriting (handwriting) isn't good. One day I thought my headwriting was never going to be good, but when I saw you on TV and won I been working on it. I hope you can come to my school and call me up (not on phone) and thank me for writing this to you. I don't like writing a lot to tell you the truth but now I do. And thank you for being our president"

Sinaicly (Sincerely),
MostI'veEverWritten

"I would like you to help the immigration. Many people are coming here for something and when they get caught that they are illegal, they have to leave their kids. I would also like you to change the economic. I would like you to lower the prices of homes, the gasoline, etc. Many people have to live on the streets because they can't afford an apartment. Many people can't pay their bills. I won't like to see people begging for food or money around the streets.
I would also like you to stop the war in Iraq. Many people are dying in the wars. Many people are leaving their family members. We want to stop that.
Please, President Obama, help the people who don't have health insurance. People are dying just because some hospitals don't accept people who are really sick and don't have health insurance. I know you can change things. You are going to be one of the best presidents in the United States, I et. I believe in you".

Sincerely,
WiseBeyondHerYears

Our children have voices. Maybe they're never heard because we don't ask them what they think. We have a tendency to downplay their authority on important issues because they're "too young" or "haven't experienced anything yet". The heartfelt responses that I received from my students was a strong reminder that this is their country too. We have to give our youth the ownership that they so desire. How can they call for change in the future if we didn't allow for them to call for it in the present?

To the children:

Speak loudly and speak often. Speak without hesitation. It is your duty to be heard, and to be heard well. Be a voice. Be a voice to someone who needs to hear it. Be a voice for those without.

Ed Prince.

No comments: